Our customers come from various backgrounds and have become homeless due to family breakdowns, drug and alcohol problems, poor physical and mental health and other issues which resulted in them losing their homes. Some have only been homeless for a short time while others have been homeless for many years. Regardless of their history, one thing all of our customers get when they come to Arlington is a chance to rebuild their lives.
We give them a safe place to stay along with personalised support and real opportunities to learn new skills, find a job and get their independence back. We work hand-in-hand with social enterprises and commercial businesses to create a mixed, vibrant environment, all under one roof, where our homeless customers can be motivated to get on the right track.
Arlington is inspired by the Times Square scheme pioneered by homeless charity Common Ground in New York. We have converted what used to be basic lodgings for those in need, when it first opened in 1905, into a modern facility which prepares our homeless customers to achieve independence and re-integrate within the community.
Owned and managed by One Housing, the scheme is home to:
• 95 residential rooms for homeless and vulnerable adults
• 44 low-rent studio flats starting from just £144.08 per week
• on-site training facilities with a dedicated employment and training centre for Arlington residents, other One Housing residents and the wider community
• 3,000m2 of commercial space for businesses and social enterprises
• state-of-the-art conference facilities for small to large meetings and events.
We don’t just shelter the homeless; we provide essential and effective services to help break the cycle of homelessness. We help our customers move on to better lives and create stronger communities.